Wednesday, May 17, 2006

LEONARD PELTIER: THE ARTIST


"Beast of Beauty"

I did not know Leonard Peltier was an artist until I went to a pow-wow several years ago. A woman was selling prints of his work and I was totally amazed. The subject matter is most naturally Native American in theme but she pointed out something to me that endeared me to this artist. She showed me what she called before and after paintings. She pointed out the inner transformation of the man and how it was reflected in his art. It was quite obvious. Darks and shadow had given way to bright colors and light. And don't all of troubles stand to serve that purpose, of transforming us. Leonard Peltier is in prison for a crime he did not commit. He has reason to be bitter, but over time, he has found something deep and wonderful inside himself and it comes through in his work.

You can see some of Mr. Peltier's work and judge for yourself. Here is one of many links you'll find when you google Leonard Peltier Artist.

No comments: