Sunday, February 15, 2009

TUCSON GEM & MINERAL SHOW TREASURES!

I was fortunate to experience Tucson's Annual Gem Show this year for the first time. I am not sure how a single town can handle all of that energy but it managed. For the whole scoop on the two week affair click here. Scattered among all of the vendors were some pretty amazing Earth Artists who work with gemstones and crystals producing some breath-taking results. Here are three of my favorites, and I share them with you with great enthusiasm. The first two brought me to tears and the third was simply a total inspiration.

I will let them speak for themselves:

1. Lawrence Stoller: CrystalWorks

His work is in an old Tucson home, bought and renovated just for this two week period. I found it by serendipity and was completely overwhelmed by the beauty and respect I saw/felt in there. These particular crystals were like his little babies, so much love and awareness had gone into each piece of art. Are ANY crystals in the WORLD cared for as much as these!?! I did not get to meet the artist but intend to write him a note of appreciation and gratitude for his respect for Mother Earth.

2. Pedro Jimenez III [Blue Elk]: Gemstone Kachinas and Carvings

Once again, by serendipity I walked into this area of the convention center and was bowled over by the energy and magnificence of what this native Peruvian artist had created. The kachinas and carvings are all made of different gemstones that have been purified with burning sage and each detail of the carvings has special meaning. Each one was very much ALIVE. I was able to thank the artist and let him know how their overwhelming beauty and power affected me. He was very sweet.

3. Mike Woodward: Gem Photography

Check out the "Abstract Stone Images" link at this artist's site. All of his work was printed on stretched canvas, and unframed. Some of it was huge and it was so impressive to see those little agate and crystal patterns bigger than life. I did not get to talk to the photographer as he was always busy and animated sharing his love with passers by. His product moved me in a different way than the other two. No tears, just extreme appreciation and inspiration. WOW!

Wish you could have been here but hopefully this will give you a little taste of the treasure that was findable at the show.

Enjoy!
Claire/Vimala

No comments: